British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, the vibrant coastal city nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the stunning North Shore Mountains, is a captivating blend of natural beauty, cultural diversity and urban sophistication. Known for its mild climate, Vancouver offers a plethora of outdoor activities, from strolling along the picturesque seawall to skiing on nearby slopes. The city’s bustling neighbourhoods are brimming with trendy boutiques, eclectic eateries and lively nightlife.
Our international education program aims to provide students with a well-rounded education that combines academic excellence with cultural immersion. Students have the opportunity to experience the vibrant city while studying in a safe and supportive environment.
To challenge and engage students, public schools offer a diverse range of academic programs, including advanced placement and honours courses. They also have a strong emphasis on visual and performing arts, technology, computer studies, and sports, allowing students to explore their passions and develop their skills.
In addition to academic courses, the program offers a variety of elective courses that cater to students’ interests and provide a unique learning experience. These elective courses are available for both half-year and full-year terms, allowing students to customize their education and make the most of their time in Canada.
We believe that education is not just about academics, but also about personal growth and cultural understanding. International Education Programs strive to provide students with a well-rounded education that prepares them for success in an increasingly globalized world.
Sea to Sky Corridor
The Sea to Sky Corridor in British Columbia is a breathtaking region that stretches from the coastal city of Vancouver to the stunning mountain town of Whistler. Known for its stunning natural beauty, the corridor offers a unique blend of coastal and mountain landscapes. This particular school district, located within the Sea to Sky Corridor, provides students with exceptional education combined with the only Snowboard, Sky & Bike Academy program in Canada. With a focus on academic excellence and a wide range of extracurricular activities, students have the opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive and inspiring environment. Whether it is exploring the outdoors, participating in sports, or engaging in the arts, students have access to a wealth of opportunities that enhance their educational experience and foster their personal development.
Is studying abroad worth it?Yes! Studying abroad in high school can be a valuable and worthwhile investment in your education and future.
What are the eligibility requirements for international students to participate in the year abroad program?
Minimum age requirement: students must be at least 15 years old by the start of the program and cannot have turned 18 before the program begins.
Academic requirement: students must have successfully completed and passed all high school years prior to their departure.
English proficiency: while not mandatory, it is strongly advised for students to have a basic understanding of English, as it can greatly enhance their integration and navigation of the program.
What academic courses and extracurricular activities are available to international students during their year abroad?
During their year abroad, international students have access to a wide range of academic courses and extracurricular activities. The specific offerings may vary depending on the program and school, but generally, international students can expect the following:
- Core subjects: international students can enrol in a variety of core subjects such as mathematics, science, social studies and languages.
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses: many schools offer AP courses, which provide students with an opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school.
- Elective courses: students can choose from a diverse range of elective courses based on their interests, including visual and performing arts, technology, computer studies and more.
- Sports: international students can participate in various sports teams and competitions, such as soccer, basketball, swimming, track and field and more.
- Clubs and organizations: schools often have a wide range of clubs and organizations that cater to different interests, such as debate club, drama club, music club, environmental club and more.
- Community service: students can engage in community service activities, volunteering their time and skills to make a positive impact in the local community.
- Cultural events: schools may organize cultural events and celebrations to promote cultural exchange and understanding among students.
It is important to note that the availability of specific courses and activities may vary between schools and programs. International students are encouraged to inquire with their specific school or program to get detailed information about the academic courses and extracurricular activities available to them during their year abroad.
How does the year abroad program support international students in terms of language learning and cultural integration?
The year abroad program is designed to provide comprehensive support to international students in terms of language learning and cultural integration. Here are some ways in which the program facilitates these aspects:
- Language support: the program offers language support services to help international students improve their language skills. This may include English as a Second Language (ESL) classes or language immersion programs. These resources aim to enhance students’ language proficiency and boost their confidence in communicating effectively.
- Cultural orientation: the program typically includes a cultural orientation component to familiarize international students with the local customs, traditions, and social norms. This helps students adapt to the new cultural environment and promotes a deeper understanding and appreciation of the host country’s culture.
- Integration activities: The program organizes various integration activities and events to encourage interaction and collaboration among international and local students. These activities may include school projects, cultural exchange events, and community service projects. Such initiatives foster cross-cultural friendships, promote inclusivity and provide opportunities for international students to immerse themselves in the local community.
- Support networks: the program establishes support networks, such as student counselling or advisors, who assist international students throughout their year abroad. These mentors offer guidance, answer questions and provide a support system for academic and personal matters. They serve as a valuable resource for international students to navigate their new environment and address any challenges they may encounter.
By providing language support, cultural orientation, integration activities and support networks, the year abroad program aims to facilitate language learning and cultural integration for international students, ensuring a positive and enriching experience during their time abroad.
Are there any discounts available?
Early bird discount: We are delighted to offer an early bird discount for students who apply for a full Academic Year by December 31st of the preceding year or for a semester program with a program start in January by June 1st of the preceding year. For comprehensive details and eligibility criteria, we recommend reaching out directly to one of our seasoned advisors.
Unlock Your Potential
Ready for your Adventure?
Not quite sure? Explore other destinations
Recommended by parents and students
Become a global citizen who proudly relies on Orca Education.